Name: Alicia Elkins
Children: Charlie, 3 months
1. What were your reasons for hiring a postpartum doula?
Our baby was born during my husbands busiest time of the year at work. I wanted support and an extra set of hands when we brought home our bundle of joy. Also I have a history of depression so I knew that I had a greater chance of PPD. Hiring a postpartum doula was part of our plan to take steps towards being proactive towards postpartum care.
2. How was your doula most helpful?
Where do I begin?! She was super supportive in every single aspect of bringing baby home. Helped me with self-care. Help with housework, pet care and with infant care. Was extremely helpful in recommending resources. Also just a really great personal confidant during one of the hardest times in my life thus far.
3. What did you learn from your postpartum experience?
That bringing home a baby is a lot of work. You should never ever feel guilty for asking for help. Getting help and support only helped me to be a better mother to my child.
4. What surprised you about giving bringing home your new baby?
I knew it was gonna be hard. But I never imagine how hard it was going to be. I thought I was prepared but some things you can never truly prepared yourself for.
5. What advice or encouragement regarding birth or the postpartum period would you like to offer to women expecting their first babies?
Don't feel guilty about asking for help. Self-care is extremely important. Don't be too hard on yourself. This will be a learning experience for both you and your child.